11/4/05

Miscellaneous Reports

1. Six of my students had head lice last week. I freaked out and made the district treat my room, most likely with nasty chemicals that will drastically impede learning, but...At least we have no external parasites.

2. I survived my first Halloween of living in the neighborhood where my students also reside...By hiding out at Ally's house. Literally. I took a six-inch stack of papers to her house and graded them all night, comforted by the facts that my cats were inside, my front porch light was off, and my students still don't know where I live.

3. There might have been a tornado the other night. Well, maybe not a tornado, but this old house I live in made that nasty windstorm sound like the cyclone in the Wizard of Oz. There were creepy creaks and whistly howling noises all night. Luckily, I'm not someone who spooks very easily, because if I was, this living alone thing would have been pretty scary in the middle of my Salem tornado.

4. I'm going to start using my digital tape recorder today for something other than recording my friends and me singing drunken karaoke. I'm going to create a self-guided oral reading assessment tape for the kiddos. They'll take the tape recorder into the hall, press record, introduce themselves, then start reading a short, grade level passage of text. This way, I don't have to give the other kids busy work so that I can give the assessment, and I can go home and wear pajamas while I listen to and score the recordings.

I hope to see some of you in Corvallis on Saturday!

-end report-

2 comments:

Infused Confusion said...

1. I gave it to them and I'll do it agian unless you relase the prisoner!

2. They didn't until I told them. Oh, you're having a slumber party for the girls next Saturday. And you're providing the refreshments.

3. There was a tornado. That's what happens when I spin my poi too fast. Oops! Sorry. Glad you're not dead.

4. Actually, I have nothing snide to say about this one. Fantastic idea! Can I take 4th grade again with you? Pretty please?!

Copy Editor said...

I'm glad you don't have lice, Sara. That'd be gross.

I really liked my fourth grade teacher. She was one of only 3 teachers I liked in 1-6 (I liked kindergarten but that was a different school). I've noticed in the Eugene area, elementary schools are only 1-5 and 6th graders all go to middle school. There's no school like that in Kfalls.

Fourth grade sounds fun. Much better than being a grownup. Can I come be in your class too? I promise Patrick and I won't be too much trouble if you let us sit together.

Today's word verification definition: "erkykyys": the sound made by a cat coughing up a large hairball.