11/20/06

Quick Grammar Lesson for Idiots

Apostrophes do not belong in plural nouns, except in some cases.

Your Myspace page should not read "New Pic's," but rather, "New Pics."

The exception is for acronyms, symbols, or digits referred to in the plural, such as "CPU's" or "A+'s"



Apostrophes do not belong in third person present verbs. For example:

"She like's me" should be written "She likes me," unless your intention is to say, "She like-is me," which, even a contraction, makes no sense.



The word "its" defies the rules.

When something belongs to it, the word is written "its." No apostrophe.

The leaf fell from its branch.

When using the word as a contraction for "it is," give it an apostrophe.

It's a beautiful autumn day.



Additionally:
Their = belonging to them [Give them their things.]
They're = contraction for "they are," which, in fact, does deserve an apostrophe [They're waiting]
There = a place or destination [Put the things there.]

Please stop with the grammar fuck-ups. You people are killing me.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, thank you for clearing this up!!! I get annoyed when I read these simple, yet elementary errors!

Anonymous said...

I concur. Misuse of apostrophes is reaching pandemic proportions. Make it stop!

I commend you for being so brave as to address this issue. Also, I would like to add that people need to stop using so many damn exclamation marks. Lame.

Copy Editor said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Copy Editor said...

Word.

I could not agree more. However, I should point out that the acronym rule is different in Associated Press style. In examples such as the ones you provided, the AP would not use an apostrophe because no letters are missing. So... CDs, PCs, As, Bs, etc. With numbers (1970s) the same rule applies. If you're using dates, the apostrophe goes before missing numbers ('90s) but not before the letter s.

Mr. Burns said...

Whey too go, Sara. Its nice to no Im knot the only person whose bothered buy bad grammar and theirs other people who care two!

Copy Editor said...

I was in the grocery store last month and someone had corrected the grammar on a sign by the check-out counter but they corrected it wrong.

Sara said...

I'm always erasing apostrophes on signs, or crossing them out with a pen. I really like it when the mistakes are on a chalk board so I can just wipe away the offending punctuation.

Infused Confusion said...

You and me babe. We're the grammar Nazis. I'm as obsessive about punctuation and correct aphstrophe useage as you are. I haven't posted about such things, though it grates on me like nails on a chalkboard when I see such mistakes. It's like people were educated in Keizer or something. BUUUURRRRNNN!!! ;)

Unknown said...

Agree with Jobetta on apostrophes in acronyms - if you wouldn't have one when the phrase was written in full, then the rule shouldn't change just because it's abbreviated!

Did I get all my apostrophes right here?? :)

Cheers,

Gill
www.freelancecopywriting.biz