12/19/08

Musings on Procrastination

Most of you who know me know that I'm a do-er, an accomplisher, a 'work before you play' kind of gal. It's not always true, although I would have you think otherwise. 

Private Procrastinator: (n.) one who favors unproductive pursuits in place of  necessary tasks until the last possible minute; done when not in the public eye

Case and point - The time is now 12:04 pm. Five minutes ago, I recieved a call from Val saying that she'll be off work at 2:00. Since I will be picking her up, I'll need to schedule in enough time to get there, and since it's snowing, a little more than usual. 

That gives me 1.5 hours (or less) to accomplish the following tasks:
1. Shower
2. Finish packing
3. Feed the cats
4. Take out the garbage
5. Run the dishwasher (nevermind, already did that)
6. Pack the car
7. Leave

Instead of doing these important, necessary things, with only 1.5 hours remaining, I am:
1. Pressing refresh on several websites to see if anything has changed.
2. Blogging about something that has no relevance to anyone but myself
3. Running the dryer to de-wrinkle clothes
4. Making a deal with myself that when the dryer buzzes, I will become productive

Here is how this will go down.
12:15 - Publish blog posting of no relevance. Shut down computer, but not before checking at least one more site. What a dork.
12:20 - Jump in the shower. Try to beat the dryer buzzer.
12:40 - Run around in a towel with wet hair folding laundry, packing a bag, marking things off my list. At least I have a list. See, I'm an organized at least.
1:00 - Kick into high gear and continue bustling about, but at twice the speed.
1:25  - Load the car, take out the garbage, remember last minute details, warm up the car
1:30 - Be on the way, right on time.

To wrap things up (and on schedule, I might note), you may think that I am a responsible person who takes care of things in a way you wish you did, but really, I'm just as much of a mess as anyone else. It's just an organized mess.

No comments: