9/8/04

First Day of School

Dr. Seuss's 100th Birthday (Last Winter) Posted by Hello


"The more that you read, the more you will know. The more that you know, the more places you'll go." --- Dr. Seuss

This is the quote that adorns one of the many bulletin boards in my new classroom. Today was the first day of school, and my first opportunity to meet the students that I will teach full time for eleven weeks this fall. As fourth graders, these kids are reaching a point where they are no longer learning to read, but reading to learn, so my bulletin board was meant to be an invitation to exercise that skill.

The highlight of my day was reading one of my favorite books to the class: How I Became a Pirate, by Melinda Long and David Shannon. My friends and I are fascinated with pirates, and this book allows pirates into my classroom! At the end of the day, students sat in a circle and shared their favorite activities from the first day of school, and the pirate book topped the charts. Next time, I'll bring my eye patch and hook!

"Good teaching is one-fourth preparation and three-fourths theater." --Gail Godwin

No comments: