6/9/05

First Interview Down

Well, my first interview has come to pass. I spent all day before it trying not to spaz, but wasn't very successful until about 2:00 when I put on two Sex in the City episodes and tuned out. The school is very cute, and almost rural seeming, and the area around it is absolutely beautiful. I was interviewed by a panel of TEN people, including the principal, the other two fifth grade teachers, and a mix from other grades. Even with that many people, it was fine up until they started asking some tough questions. I got through them all, but they had some complex ones, like:

If you were to pick three things you wanted your students to learn this year, what would they be?
After some blanking and stalling with the, "Wow, that's a great question" technique, I said I would want students in my classroom to walk away with a sense of community and understanding of what community means, essential study skills for being successful in middle school and beyond, and a sense of themselves as learners and the types of conditions in which they learn best. This sounds better in print than it did when I said it.

What will be the indicators of your success?
Phew...That's loaded question. I said that my students' learning and progress will be the best indicator of my teaching, because if they're not learning, I can't really be called a teacher. There is more I could have said, but I didn't want to make them think that I'm concerned with administrator approval.

I think it went well overall, except that it was so hot in the room we were in that I was really sweaty at first. Then, when I walked out, I recognized the person that was coming in for the next interview slot. I didn't realize until later that she is the substitute teacher that took over for the classroom next to mine at Page when the real teacher took maternity leave. I'm starting to think that she would probably be more qualified than me, but then again, I don't really know her at all, nor have I seen her teach.

They will make a decision by the end of the week, the the human resources department will get back to me by, hopefully, next Friday. If offered the job, though, they said that I could come into my classroom anytime over the summer do get settled in, which is great.

Well, that's the story. I'm going to try not to think about it all weekend, because I'M GRADUATING FROM GRADUATE SCHOOL!!! No more school for the rest of my life (oh, um...Except the nine graduate credits I have to take over then next three years to continue my teaching license, but whatever, I'll do that later). Finally, my college life is over...I'll miss it, but I'm glad to get out at the same time.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sara: you need to stop drinking. You may have a problem.

Hilton Hightower said...

No one should EVER stop drinking. Take it from me. Never, ever, ever. Drink always and forever. Never stop.

Hilton Hightower said...

You said, "Even with that many people, it was fine up until they started asking some tough questions."

There is no such thing as a tough question. There are only questions and answers. Not tough ones or easy ones. Just ones.

cmo said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Infused Confusion said...

Sara, I'm sure you impressed the hell out of them. They've got to expect you to be a little nervous. After all, you're sitting in front of 10 people. I would have been choking on my own spit and spewing out non-coherent babble. (Mr. Moore, why do you make a good candidate for teaching?) "Unh, I'm, uh, good at color! Reading, typing are skills too. Uh, make teachers proud... students too! Make room pretty and listen good." *crooked, spooky smile*

Sara said...

Actually, there are tough questions. That is my opinion.

Who is "Mom?" It's definately not my mom. I can quit anytime I want, I just don't want to, ha ha. I'll be the one to judge the extent of my problem, so leave that to me.

cmo said...

The only drinking problem that I am aware of is running out of booze.

Infused Confusion said...

You don't even wanna TALK to me when that happens. SO not pretty.

Hilton Hightower said...

You said, "Actually, there are tough questions. That is my opinion."

No there aren't. There are no opinions either.