3/1/05

The Last Practicum of Graduate School

Oh boy, next term is going to be challenging. In addition to three classes and an extra long seminar, I have a new class to GTF for (and a professor who will make me go to the class/actually do work), working in the computer lab, two job fairs, the ESOL Praxis (my ESL license exam), and a ten-hour per week practicum. I wrote to the teacher I'll be working with in practicum, and this was her description of the class:

"I think you'll love these first grade students. There are 20 in the class with 6 being ESL students with varying degrees of competency. We also have 2 identified Asperger Syndrone boys and some very bright and "interesting" other children. Makes for a lot of fun...and I mean that truthfully."

Oh boy, oh boy. Not only have I never actually worked with ESL kids, I have very little experience with Asperger's Syndrome and I have NEVER worked in a first grade classroom. Yikes. Yikes. Yikes.

Glossary for Non-Ed People:
ESOL
- English for Speakers of Other Languages, my graduate emphasis
Practicum- Part-time placement in a classroom where you teach small units & groups
GTF- Graduate Teaching Fellow, assisting in a college class to pay for grad school
Asperger's Syndrome- High functioning Autism
First Grade- Primary elementary grade in which students still publicly pick their noses
"Interesting"- Children that are hell on wheels

4 comments:

cmo said...

HEY! Lots of people publicly pick their noses. I mean, not me personally, I think it's best to wait till nobody is looking and wipe it on the shirt of the next person you see, i.e. your grandma, priest, electrician, whoever. I just think it's not right to stereotype people who manualy remove their nostril obstructions (just being PC here) as first graders. =)

Infused Confusion said...

Fortunately, you're not one to shirk at a challenge. Unfortunately, neither are first graders. :)

Copy Editor said...

Aspergers is really interesting. A teacher friend of mine has an Asperger's student. They're very sensitive kids. Very sweet, but highly sensitive to everything around them. I could put you in touch with this teacher if you want some advice on working with those students.

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to let you know that your theme parties look like so much fun! It makes me miss college.